Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Life in France

So I am finally starting to get settled into my life here.  My room is unpacked and I think I'm overcoming the exhaustion I was suffering from the first two days.  

The family has been absolutely amazing so far.  Marie-Laure has been very welcoming and she is doing an excellent job of making sure everything is clear to me.  Yesterday she taught me how to drive and also how to prepare a few French meals.  The two boys are adorable.  Nico, whose English is perfect, has been keeping me company and helping me do the the little things like the grocery shopping or even just getting me to the grocery store.  Today I think Nico is going to give me a walking tour of Saint-Germain so I have an even better idea of where I am going.  I was worried about Thomas because I heard he was not always friendly with the new au pairs and it took awhile to establish a relationship with him.  I think he has grown up alot though because for some reason he can't seem to get enough of me.  He has eagerly shown me all of his books and toys and insists on playing basically all day long.  Sometimes "playing" consists of me watching him play on his gameboy.  

The first day was rather overwhelming.  It was just a constant stream of information as ML would give me the emergency contact information as she was walking out the door and then call out that she would show me how to use the phone later.  I'm obviously still learning alot since it is only my 3rd day here but the little things around the house are beginning to grow more familiar to me.  Of course when I leave the house it's a whole different story.  I have yet to venture out on my own and have relied quite heavily on Nico but I will be completely on my own starting on Monday so the adventures will start soon enough.

This weekend I think I am going to Paris with a couple of the other au pairs.  I think there are alot of au pairs in the area and so we are all getting together for a picnic in the park on Saturday.  I think also on Friday I am going out to explore Saint-Germain a little more with Sophie and Jessica, two other au pairs in St.G.  

Hope everything is going great back home!  Feel free to email me anytime.
alyssarisch@gmail.com

1 comment:

Titkov said...

Can't wait to hear more about your adventures. Your blog is on my list of blogs I read on my blog...blog.